Tamilnadu State Board New Syllabus Samacheer Kalvi 6th English Guide Pdf Term 1 Prose Chapter 3 A Visitor from Distant Lands Text Book Back Questions and Answers, Summary, Notes.
Tamilnadu Samacheer Kalvi 6th English Solutions Term 1 Prose Chapter 3 A Visitor from Distant Lands
6th English Guide A Visitor from Distant Lands Text Book Back Questions and Answers
Warm Up (Text Book Page No. 132)
Look at the pictures. What do their expressions tell you? Fill in the blanks with the item that tastes the same. One example is given for each. (Text Book Page No. 134)
- Sweet: sugarcane – Jackfruit, Ice-cream, Cake, Candy
- Sour: lime – Cheese, Orange, tamarind. Vinegar. Curd
- Bitter: bitter gourd – spinach, fenugreek, curry leaf
- Salty: salt – dry fish, Pickles, Seaweed
- Astringent: betel nut – gooseberry, Pomegranate
- Pungent: ginger – pepper, Garlic, Onion
Read and Understand (Text Book Page No. 141)
A. Work in pairs. Tick the best option.
1. When Amma said, ‘Don’t upset our foreign visitor’ she meant
2. Selvi asked, ‘Did they come in an aeroplane?’ because she
a) was joking
b) did not understand her mother
c) thought it would be fun
a) was joking
3. Amma bought the vegetables from the
b) shopping mall
B. Answer these questions. (Text Book Page No. 141)
1. Who first brought these vegetables to India?
Some foreign merchants first brought these vegetables to India.
2. Who came to India from Portugal in search of pepper?
Vasco da Gama came to India from Portugal in search of pepper.
3. What did Amma mean when she said tomatoes, ladies’ fingers and corn came from other countries?
Amma meant that they could not eat these vegetables as they came from other countries.
C. Read the comic strip again. Make groups of four and frame some questions on what you have read. Each group should ask a question in turns. You cannot repeat the same question. The team which asks more questions is the winner. (Text Book Page No. 141)
1. Which are the foreign vegetables mentioned?
Com, tomatoes and ladies fingers are the foreign vegetables mentioned.
2. Why was Columbus sad?
Columbus was looking for India and black pepper, but he found South America and the chilli So, he was sad.
D. Discuss in groups and share your views in three or four sentences with others in the class.
1. What is your favourite dish? Do you know the spices that go into it? (Text Book Page No. 141)
My favourite dish is tomato rice. Cinnamon, pepper, chillies, mustard, ginger & garlic are the spices that go into it.
E. Add ‘r’, ‘er’ or ‘or’ to get the name of the person who does the activity. Take turns in class to make sentences with the words you have formed. (Text Book Page No. 142)
e.g: A teacher is a person who teaches. Teach + er – Teacher.
use+r – user;
buy+er – buyer;
sail+or – sailor;
watch+er – watcher
operat+or – operator
foreign+er – foreigner;
bake+r – baker;
write+r – writer;
govem+or – governor;
act+or – actor
F. Complete this table with the help of the given example.
e.g: Portugal is the name of the country. People from Portugal are called the Portuguese.
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lankan|
G. Listen to some interesting facts about spices and choose the best option. (Listening text in on-page -157)
1. Red peppers have
a. Vitamin A
b. Vitamin C
c. Vitamin D
b) Vitamin C
2. Red chilli is also called
3. One pound is equal to grams.
4. Mint leaves help to cure
a. body pain
c. upset stomach
c) upset stomach
Speaking (Text Book Page No. 143)
H. Work in pairs. Take turns and speak about spices.
Saritha: Hi Divya, how are you?
Divya: Hi, I’m fine Saritha.
Saritha: What did you have for breakfast?
Divya: Dhosa with onion chutney.
Saritha: Do you know where onions have come from ?
Divya: Yes. I guess it is from Central Asia.
Saritha: Do you know chilli too has come from somewhere else?
Divya: Is it from South America?
Saritha: Yes, you are right.
Divya: Many of the vegetables came from other countries.
Use Grammar (Text Book Page No. 144)
Use two or three words from the box to describe each picture.
I. Correct the order of the words in bold and write them in the blanks. (Text Book Page No. 145)
1. Green little the chilli ……………. was very hot.
Ans: The little green chilli
2. Sailors many brave ……………. tried to find a sea route to India.
Many brave sailors
3. Brown dog the big ……………. barked at the children.
The big brown dog
4. The spice most common ……………. used today is the red chilli pepper.
The most common spice
5. The path mud long ……………. led to a beautiful lake.
The long mud path
Writing (Text Book Page No. 145)
K. How do you cook rice in your house?
Fill in the gaps in this recipe for cooking rice. Use the words in the box.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups of water
- pinch of salt
How to make it
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a medium-sized pan, bring water to boil.
- Add the salt, stir, and then add the rinsed and drained rice.
- Reduce the heat, cover the rice, and let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Check after 15 minutes to see if all the water has evaporated. If it has, the rice is ready.
- If not, replace the lid and let the rice simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve.
M. Your mother has written a message for you before going out. Write a message to her after finishing lunch.
- Mom, I had lunch.
- I liked the curd.
- I have cleaned the kitchen.
- I am going to play.
- I will back at 5.30 p.m.
Write about the following in your message.
- You ate lunch in the kitchen
- What you liked vegetable biryani (mention the dish).
- You have cleaned the kitchen after you finished eating.
- You are going out to play. I will be back by 5.30 p.m (mention when you will be back)
A Visitor from Distant Lands Summary in English
Mani’s family lived near Genjee in Villupuram district. Mani’s teacher taught about vegetables that came far from India and advised to eat locally grown vegetables. His parents said him that many merchants sailed to India in search of spices mainly black pepper. A Portugal merchant Vasco-da-Gama sailed to Kerala in search of spices and took spices from India. Like this, they also introduced many of their nature vegetables to India. Christopher Columbus sailed to South America instead of India and found the America and the chilli. Chillies were introduced to India through the Portuguese.
A Visitor from Distant Lands Summary in Tamil
மணியின் குடும்பம் விலுபுரம் மாவட்டத்தில் செஞ்சி அருகே வசித்து வந்தனர். மணியின் ஆசிரியர் இந்தியாவில் இருந்து வெகுதொலைவில் இருந்து இந்தியாவிற்கு வந்த காய்கறிகளைப் பற்றி கற்பித்தார். மேலும் உள்நாட்டில் வளர்க்கப்படும் காய்கறிகளை சாப்பிட அறிவுறுத்தினார். பல வணிகர்கள் மசாலா முக்கியமாக கருமிளகைத் தேடி இந்தியாவுக்கு பயணம் செய்ததாக அவரது பெற்றோர் சொன்னார்கள் ஒரு போர்ச்சுக்கல், வணிகர் வாஸ்கோடகாமா மசாலாவைத் தேடி கேரளாவுக்குச் சென்று இந்தியாவிலிருந்து மசாலாப் பொருட்களை எடுத்துச் சென்றார். இதுபோன்று அவர்கள் தங்கள் இயற்கைக் காய்கறிகளையும் இந்தியாவிற்கு அறிமுகப்படுத்தினர். கிறிஸ்டோபர் கொலம்பஸ் இந்தியாவிற்குப் பதிலாக தென் அமெரிக்காவுக்கு சென்று அமெரிக்காவையும் மிளகாவையும் கண்டுபிடித்தார். மிளகாய் போர்ச்சுகீசியர்கள் மூலம் இந்தியாவுக்கு அறிமுகப்படுத்தப்பட்டது.